Nudge Challenge Week 21 = Anonymous Kindness

NUDGED: "Complete a random act of kindness, anonymously"

BACKSTORY: I love hearing stories of random acts of kindness. It's encouraging to hear that there are good people in the world being kind to others. When I turned 30, I made a list of 30 random acts of kindness that I worked on during my birthday month. All 30 were completed! I really enjoyed focusing on good deeds, and thought it was time to try it again. The challenge this time would be to keep it completely anonymous - doing good for others without any recognition or appreciation. The other part of the challenge is to not spend much money on this per my rules. How can I make a difference without being known or spending much money?

QUOTE: "Together we can change the world, just one random act of kindness at a time." - Ron Hall

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: This is a tough one to blog on as I want what I did to be completely anonymous. Without giving any specific details, I completed this nudge by performing the following acts:

1) In backed up, rush hour traffic, I let in another vehicle ahead of me. They had been waiting awhile to make a right turn. This is something I do frequently, but I realized it could work for this nudge too. It is an easy way to give someone a break (pun intended!)!

2) After hearing it suggested on the radio, I checked out the Christian radio station's Prayer Works website, and prayed for some requests that were submitted by strangers. You can click that you prayed for the request so they know, and it is completely anonymous. I was honored to pray on their behalf.

3) Ash Wednesday was this week, so I went to a service at a local church. I put cash in the offering plate - anonymous and will be used for good things!

(Fail - I was going to do the "drive thru difference" and pay for the person behind me at a fast food or coffee place, but it didn't happen. I didn't go to any drive thrus alone this week so no opportunity. Will try it another time!!)

LESSONS LEARNED: I consider myself generous already, but there's still always something more I can do. Many times, the opportunity is very inexpensive and simple. Look for those moments and be kind to others!

NEXT UP: "No complaining for 5 days". This nudge comes from the book "A Complaint Free World" which I read last year and loved. I have tried the concepts in the book occasionally but it only lasts a few days at a time. Can I watch my words and not complain this week from Monday-Friday? I honestly don't know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy