Nudge Challenge Week 15 = Embracing Technology

NUDGED: "Figure out new Bluetooth headset"

BACKSTORY: I struggle to embrace new technology, even when it would make my life easier. My brother got me a nice Bluetooth headset (Zealot H1 Wireless Stereo Headset) for a gift awhile ago. Truthfully, the only times it has been used and out of the box are the two times he has showed me how to work it. Figuring it out on my own and actually using it has been a LONG TIME item on my to-do list (over a year), and this was the "nudge" I needed to try.   

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: I had a head-start this week as recently I had my brother showing me how to get this to work again. With some kind of younger person technology magic, he got my phone to finally recognize it and it worked! I was getting tired of dealing with the cords of my earphones at the gym when lifting weights and wanted a wireless solution. This valuable piece of equipment was sitting at my house collecting dust and could be the solution to my problem of entanglement...if I could figure it out on my own. 

Since I have been going to the gym regularly (go me!), I took it with me on Tuesday night this week. I admit I stood still on the treadmill for far too long trying to get it working. He made it look so easy. In the end, after several stressful minutes, I was victorious! I played music and a podcast for only my ears using my Bluetooth headset. I did it!!

Looking cool on the treadmill with my new headset! It works!!!

I tried it again on Thursday night at the gym and listened to silence. Yep, the unit was completely dead and wouldn't even turn on as it needed to be charged. I learned what a short charge life it has (wow!) and will make sure it is fully charged next time. 

LESSONS LEARNED:

1) When my headset didn't work, I learned that the gym plays music over the speakers and it is sufficient to get through a workout. I don't think I realized this before. It is a great Plan B if your original plan fails.

2) This nudge has highlighted just how resistant I can be in embracing new technology, but I can eventually figure it out when I am determined to do so. It made me think of other areas of technology that I might embrace also. Next up: getting my phone connected and working through my car stereo (Bluetooth also?). Hmmmm.......

NEXT UP: I shouldn't be surprised that the next nudge seems hard because they all seem that way at first. This next week, I will "play my flute for me". Honestly, I haven't played in years and don't know where my flute is located right now. I am resolving to find it this week and play something that sparks joy for me. For so long, I only played in church when asked so it will be fun to play only for my benefit. The questions have started swirling in my head already - Can I find my flute and music? What will I play? Will I remember how to play? How will I feel to hear myself again? What will the dog think?

Comments

  1. Im surprised it had such a short charge. My 10 dollar bluetooth at work lasts nearly a full work day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy