Nudging My Way Into More Joy

I started working on my new challenge before I even knew it was a challenge. My "tasks" sound totally random, but I discovered later that they were all connected. Isn't it amazing when the picture suddenly becomes clear?

There were several random, seemingly unrelated moments recently. I walked the halls of my middle school and elementary school, both places I hadn't stepped foot in for over two decades at least. I tried one class of aerials and learned I could survive doing something scary, and that it was okay if I didn't love it. I ordered a mystery clothing box from an online retailer and enjoyed trying on different styles that I normally wouldn't select for myself. I was immersed in a completely different culture while on vacation and had the opportunity to try new foods, ask lots of questions (of course!), and experience new things.

It all came together when a friend mentioned the "52 Nudges" project. Kathleen Guthrie Woods began this personal project as a way "to inspire creativity, shake out of routine, force herself to do self-care, and to have fun". I was drawn to it immediately as it encapsulated the "random" tasks I have been doing - all things to get out of my comfort zone and have a new experience.

Like Woods' project, I created a list of tasks to complete that would stretch me, crumpled up each task individually, and put them all into a box. Each Sunday, I draw out a "nudge" to work on for that week. Some of her rules (which I've adopted also) include: it must be completed in one week, it cannot be expensive, and it has to make me a little uncomfortable.

I am doing this to have more joy in my life and to try new things. It gives me something to look forward to. I've had the sneaky suspicion for awhile that I've gotten less brave as I've grown older, so this project will finally give me a way to reconnect with the courageous part of me again.

I'm going to blog about my nudges and my journey, mostly for my accountability, but it may be helpful for others also. I'm excited (and nervous!) to see where this leads me!

I am working on my first nudge this week. Stay tuned for an update this weekend!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy