It's a Journey

I struggle to live in the moment. I was so concerned with how my closet would turn out using the KonMari Method that the process was filled with anxiousness rather than excitement (side point: it turned out great!). This phenomenon also occurs when I do my daily Bible study lessons. I work so hard to answer the daily questions that I completely forget the bigger picture. I am doing those questions to strengthen my relationship with God and learn more about Him, not to complete an assignment. It’s a journey, not a weekly destination.

I find my brain is constantly moving forward and off to the next thing, mentally checking tasks off a list. Because I am in such a rush to move on, I miss out on what is happening now.  My focus is on completing tasks (the finish line!) that I overlook the journey to get there. This also means I don’t fully realize how much fun something was until after it is over.

Fun is definitely not what I am experiencing at work right now during an office remodeling project. I have been busy planning all the details of my new space and getting ready for it anxiously. By focusing so much on the finished product, I am overlooking the current time in my temporary area connecting with coworkers I don’t usually interact with. I don’t want to fast forward these weeks and miss it. I want to enjoy the construction process and the unique opportunities it brings.

I also feel this way about my weight loss journey or my journey to a healthier lifestyle. It is a long, slow process and I can’t get caught up in whether I am at my goal weight or not. I don’t know if I will ever hit that magical number; there isn’t a finish line in this journey. I need to just focus on each day, each new milestone, and celebrate it.

I am hoping this blog will connect me to the journey of life and help me enjoy the process along the way. All the daily steps and minor bumps are part of my beautiful, messy journey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy