Week 3, Nudge 3 = Time to Paint!

NUDGED: "Paint a picture"

BACKSTORY: The excuses not to complete this nudge started soon after I saw the task for the week. That really surprised me as I always enjoyed being creative and crafty when I was younger, expressing myself through painting, coloring, drawing and writing. I currently have all the supplies to paint, but never get around to actually creating something. Why?

My reasons for why I can't paint a picture right now: I'm not a good artist (perfectionist!). I don't want to waste good supplies that I may use later. I don't want to make a mess. I don't know what to make. There isn't a purpose for the artwork right now - what am I going to do with it when I'm done?

QUOTE: "Art offers sanctuary to everyone willing to open their hearts as well as their eyes," said Nikki Giovanni.

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: I gave myself permission to create something, even if it looks awful, to see how I felt while doing it. It is okay to try something without knowing how it will turn out (something I had to keep repeating to myself!).

I ended up creating artwork on a small canvas: a bright sun in front of a purple and pink background. I added a meaningful Scripture verse on top of the sun, along with my "word" for 2019 (not publicly revealed yet!).

Pretty picture?

I enjoyed the time I spent painting, even if I felt anxious for not knowing what the final product would look like. And, I am super proud of myself for overcoming my excuses and doing the thing!

LESSONS LEARNED: This section is brought to you by the letter "P". I learned this week that I need permission and passion in order to paint a picture.

Permission - I need to give myself permission to do things just for fun. There doesn't need to be a grand plan in place or a purpose for each thing I do. Getting personal enjoyment is reason enough.

Passion - Completing this nudge would have been way easier if I had a specific project in mind and was excited about doing it. Ideas create passion to do them. I also realized this week that my passion for the visual arts (painting and coloring) has changed as I've gotten older. Writing is now my outlet and passion.

NEXT UP: The next nudge I will work on will be "Wear fun nail color for one week". The idea for this nudge came from the project founder's past nudge of "wear red lipstick for a week". It is my version of that challenge - to wear a bright, fun color on my fingernails for a week. I usually don't do this and can't remember the last time I had COLOR on my fingernails! It will be highly visible to others and will be a great reminder to me to get out of my comfort zone and try new things!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy